For this project I felt I struggled with keeping my ideas simple. I over complicated a lot of my ideas and should have thought more about time constraints and making sure the idea was doable, bearing in mind none of the group including myself had attempted this type of project. We worked well as a group and whilst this was an ambitious project I think we have all learnt and achieved something from it .I feel I learnt a lot about iOS developing and sprite kit which will be useful for future projects and my placement. I was originally upset when I created a lot of design work which was then scrapped but I learnt that in order to complete the project in time I needed to not be precious about my work, especially with such an ambitious project. As Design leader I should have stepped up to my role a bit more and made sure things were happening to the deadlines set. Whilst this project had a lot of set backs and a lot of scrapping and starting again I think we created a good product. I think our app meets the briefs criteria and is an educational game for children the age of 7-10 to enjoy before going to the Cathedral to enhance their experience of the Magna Carta.
After deciding Elias would be our main character, we needed to design what he would look like. The only reference we found was a statue dedicated to him for the architecture of Salisbury Cathedral. I based the design off this statue and looked into different styles. I wanted to take the long blue robes and dark brown bowl cut as these would be easily identifiable from other characters we might put in. His appearance shows a certain importance within society whilst not looking rich and luxurious.
I originally looked into rounded character designs as I thought this would add a comedic element and be appealing to children. However, this style proved to take a long time to animate and difficult to keep it looking uniform throughout.
This was also the time we were looking into using a pixel style. Personally I felt this style would be easy for everyone to replicate and for it all to look similar. It would also help with sizes as you can set up a grid and draw assets based on set sizes. For a while we stuck with this pixel style and I created the run animation for Elias. I found this easier than the previous sketchy animation and thought it looked cleaner. However, due to time constraints and the sheer volume of work we set ourselves the group decided this style took too long to create and opted for simplistic vector shapes. I then changed the work I had already done on the Elias animation to match the new style. If we had a longer time span I would have liked to carry on with the original style however, it is important that we made this change so everyone in the design team felt they could manage the work load.