Charlotte Strethill-Smith

Digital Media Design Student

Finishing the Graduate Project — May 31, 2016

Finishing the Graduate Project

The MaxPatch for the graduate project is now finished. I added a counter to the patch which is triggered by the movement bang. The counter counts the video frames from the  movie file input and then counts to a certain number before stopping the video. This is timed to stop on a blank frame of the video after a certain animation has played. I had previously tried to use loop points and a counter with a clocker. The loop points did not work when I tried to duplicate it and the counter with a clocker needed to be triggered twice before resetting. I also changed the time message to frame as this then worked on all videos inputed. Finally, I adjusted the animation video to fully cover the middle model tile.

I have been in contact with Culture Southampton and intend to set up a meeting with them in the next week or so. This is intended to gain advice on current community views on developing city areas. As well as, invite Culture Southampton to my graduate project exhibition.

Advertisements
Graduate Project Test — May 28, 2016

Graduate Project Test

I have now tested all parts of the graduate project and fixed any issues with code that have arisen. This included changing the MaxPatch message from Time 720 to Frame 720 as the time message only worked on some videos to switch the time frame. I also need to extend the dark animation area of the train station model to cover the entire space. However, this test ran smoothly without my  computer lagging and without the animations triggering the movement detection. I now feel ready to present the project at the exhibition.

Background Animations — May 20, 2016

Background Animations

I added simple animations on top of the model backgrounds. This will attract the audience towards the models when it is not in use. I used the previous train image I created and changed the style to match the backgrounds. I also increased the time the animation resets to avoid a constantly moving train animation. I also added the train passing through another model tile, tying the models together. This portrays the model tiles are located in different areas of the same city.

 

Background Design Progress — May 19, 2016

Background Design Progress

I was unhappy with the previous background design and chose to change the style similar to an architectural site plan. By doing so I am more satisfied with overall look as it is presented professionally and the project concept is portrayed accurately. However the projections are still slightly pixelated so I will look wether saving as a different file format will resolve this issue.

Design Progress — May 17, 2016

Design Progress

I created three background images for the models in illustrator. I created separate png files for the buildings with 3D models in order to map the images to the model better. However, I was still unsure on the design so I researched architecture site plan design and incorporated this into one of the backgrounds. I prefer this style to the previous as I think outlining the areas and building shading creates a more professional architectural look. This aesthetic suits the theme of the project merging design ideas with community appraisal. I also intend to add small background animations to create a less static look whilst the model is not interacted with.

13220120_10154235802629365_489926150_n13236003_10154235802454365_159104363_n

MaxPatch Progress —

MaxPatch Progress

I have now created a basic working patch of the interactive element. This will be used in my graduate project as an interactive function between the audience and city models. Here, I am taking a live camera feed to split into three hotspots to detect movement in. These hotspots now have their own individual threshold slider to calibrate the sensitivity individually. When movement is detected a bang is sent out. This bang sets the time on a video to various points depending on which hotspot is triggered. The video is then outputted via syphon to MadMapper to be projected onto the models.

This patch is still a little glitchy and I need to put in a function to stop the video after a clip has been played. I intend to look into the loop points function to resolve this.

Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 16.40.17.png